News

FG to Evacuate 83 More Nigerians From South Africa Amid Xenophobia

The Federal Government has announced plans to evacuate another 83 Nigerians from South Africa amid renewed concerns over xenophobic attacks and anti-foreigner sentiments in the country.

The returnees are expected to arrive at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos, on Wednesday, August 19, 2026.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs, in a statement issued on Monday, said the Nigerians would depart Oliver Tambo Airport in Johannesburg aboard South African Airways at 3:35 p.m. local time and are expected to arrive in Lagos at about 8:45 p.m. the same day.

According to the ministry, the latest evacuation was made possible through the intervention and sponsorship of flight tickets by public-spirited private individuals.

The Federal Government expressed appreciation to the individuals for their support, describing the gesture as an example of public-private collaboration in responding to consular emergencies.

The latest evacuation comes after the conclusion of the government’s voluntary repatriation programme, which resulted in the return of nearly 1,490 Nigerians from South Africa amid growing concerns over Afrophobic attacks and hostility towards foreigners.

The ministry said the government remains committed to protecting the welfare and dignity of Nigerians living at home and abroad under President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s administration.

It added that, through its Citizen Diplomacy agenda, Nigerians in the diaspora are regarded as important contributors to national development and their safety remains a priority.

The ministry also urged corporate organisations, state governments, the organised private sector and other well-meaning Nigerians to support efforts aimed at assisting citizens facing consular emergencies.

It said the government would continue engaging South African authorities and other host countries to tackle the root causes of Afrophobia and prevent violence and discrimination against Nigerians.

The ministry further stressed that acts of violence and discrimination against Nigerians must be condemned and perpetrators held accountable.

South African Group Sets September 30 Deadline for Undocumented Foreigners

Meanwhile, South Africa’s anti-immigration group, March and March, has announced September 30 as a new deadline for undocumented foreigners to leave the country.

The group staged a protest in Durban on Tuesday, August 18, targeting the 46th Southern African Development Community Summit being hosted in the city.

March and March reportedly marched through parts of central Durban, calling on African leaders attending the summit to take back their citizens who are living in South Africa without valid documentation.

The group had previously organised nationwide demonstrations on June 30, demanding stricter government action against undocumented immigration.

During its latest protest, the organisation warned that it would intensify its campaign and mobilise for what it described as a major protest on September 30.

The group called on South Africans to comply with immigration laws and assist law enforcement agencies in identifying undocumented foreigners.

The 46th Ordinary SADC Summit of Heads of State and Government has brought together leaders from the regional bloc’s 16 member states.

The protest has renewed attention on the treatment of foreign nationals in South Africa, particularly amid concerns over xenophobia and attacks targeting Africans from other countries.

South African President Cyril Ramaphosa has previously condemned discrimination and violence against foreign nationals, expressing concern that some people had been forced to leave the country because of threats.

The latest demonstration by March and March has further heightened tensions surrounding South Africa’s immigration policies, with several African countries already taking steps to assist or repatriate citizens affected by the situation.

The September 30 deadline could therefore put additional pressure on the South African government to address concerns over undocumented migration while balancing immigration enforcement with regional relations.

READ ALSO:

Related Articles

Back to top button