Headlines

2027: I didn’t step down for Gov. Kefas — Aspirant

Chief David Kente, a governorship aspirant on the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC), has denied stepping down for Governor Agbu Kefas of Taraba State, who is seeking the ticket for his re-election.

The governorship aspirant stated this during a media briefing he held on Sunday in Jalingo, the Taraba State capital.

Kente said: “Contrary to information making the rounds, I am not aware of any attempt by the government to induce me.

“I just want to clarify a few things with you gentlemen. 

“Governor Agbu Kefas visited me, but that wasn’t the first time. 

“His visit therefore wasn’t anything surprising.

“It was for us to clear the air on a number of issues, including the locking up of the APC secretariat when I was coming into Jalingo a few days ago.

“They initially claimed it was for renovation, which wasn’t true as it were. 

“However, he explained things to me, and we have reached an understanding on that.

“We discussed and agreed on a number of issues, but there is nothing like me withdrawing for him.

“The issue came up, and I reminded him of how we got to where we are.

“I requested that he surrender the ticket to me because I am his elder brother and things have not been good in the last few years.

“We agreed to consult further on the way forward. 

“It wasn’t my decision to run, and so I’ll have to brief my people and get feedback from them.

“Though most of the people I’ve consulted so far insisted that we should continue with the contest.”

Kente, a retired Director of Finance with the National Assembly and a businessman, also denied the allegations that he was in the race to make money.

He said: “I want it to be on record that I have never collected any money from anybody since I joined politics 10 years ago.

“I don’t have a political godfather. 

“I rely on God in heaven, who provides me with resources to do my contests.”

Kente, who said he would win in free and fair primaries, urged APC members in the state to support him for a better future.

He decried the attempt at imposition of candidates during Saturday’s APC primaries for the House of Representatives across the state, saying that if not checked, the situation would tear the party apart.

Related Articles

Back to top button